Music For Listeners 2007/06/09
1) The Beastie Boys-"Country Mike's Theme" From the CD 'Anthology'.
2) My Two Toms-"One Love, One U" From the double CD release
'Field Recordings' and 'Two'.
3) Ra Ra Riot-"Each Year" From the forthcoming CD 'Our Love
4) The Shot Heard 'Round the World-"Inward to Lexington" From
the CD 'Ten Songs for Town and Country'.
5) White Rabbits-"I Used To Complain Now I Don't" From the CD
6) Envelopes-"Smoke In the Desert, Eating the Sand, Hide In the Grass"
From the UK 7" single for "Smoke In the Desert, Eating the Sand,
Hide In the Grass".
7) The Fratellis-"Chelsea Dagger" From the UK CD single for
8) Cajun Dance Party-"The Next Untouchable" From the UK 7"
single for "The Next Untouchable".
9) Electrelane-"At Sea" From the CD 'No Shouts, No Calls'.
10) Manu Chao-"La Vie A" From the CD 'Clandestino'.
11) Manu Chao-"Minha Galera" From the CD 'Clandestino'.
12) Patrick Watson-"Sleeping Beauty" From the CD 'Close To Paradise'.
13) iLiKETRAiNS-"I Am Murdered" From the UK CD single for "Spencer
14) iLiKETRAiNS - Music For Listeners Interview - Segment One - SXSW 2007
15) iLiKETRAiNS-"Spencer Perceval" From the UK CD single for
16) iLiKETRAiNS - Music For Listeners Interview - Segment Two - SXSW 2007
17) iLiKETRAiNS - Live selections from their first ever American live
set at Emo's - Austin, TX - March 14, 2007. Exclusively recorded for broadcast
on Music For Listeners. Thanks to the band and The Beggars Group for letting
us record this amazing set.
18) Scissors for Lefty-"Nickels and Dimes" From the forthcoming
CD 'Underhanded Romance'.
19) Poster Children-"Mr Goodnight" From the CD 'New World Record'.
20) Voxtrot-"Easy" From the CD 'Voxtrot'.
21) "The Mid-Morning Recording" Belle and Sebastian-'If You're
I remember hearing this band from the beginning,
and I remember at that time foolishly saying, "This band is just a big
rip-off of Saint Etienne". Looking back, and knowing what I know now,
I was surely mistaken. Maybe I was only listening to the pop harmonies,
but that's where the comparision ends. This second album from this ledgendary
pop group made a huge splash mainly due the limited release of their first
effort, 'Tigermilk'. Only 1000 copies were released initially of their
first album, and luckily, I even knew a couple of people who had one.
Happy accidents are always the best. I have to say that I really like
Saint Etienne, but I have to say that I like Belle and Sabastian a tad
bit more. This album is certainly just as good as any recording they ever
released, and it really shows how strong their songwriting was from the
start. It is Orly's favorite album from them, and he handed me this for
the specific purpose of playing it as a "Mid-Morning Recording".
I always liked the fact that they purposely put a big space on the CD
between the album sides. I would have loved to play this one from vinyl
as it certainly has a 60's quality about it. Tonight we played this classic
1996 indie recording, all of its glorious singles, and all of its wonderful
pop hooks from beginning to end. Dylan, harmonicas, and light harmonies.
How could one go wrong? "But if they follow you, don't look back,
like Dylan in the movies".
Michael - MFL
22) James-"Sayonara" From the CD 'Wah-Wah'.
23) Fields-"The Death" From the brand new CD 'Everything Last