Music For Listeners 11/20/2010
1) The Beastie Boys-"Country Mike's Theme" From the vinyl LP 'Country Mike's Greatest Hits'.
2) The Lovin' Spoonful-"Nashville Cats" From the CD 'Greatest Hits'.
3) Smith Westerns-"Weekend" From the forthcoming CD 'Dye It Blonde'.
4) Twin Sister-"All Around and Away We Go" From the vinyl 7" single for "All Around and Away We Go".
5) Warpaint-"Shadows" From the CD 'The Fool'.
6) The Drums-"Me and the Moon" From the brand new 7" single for "Me and the Moon".
7) Seapony-"Dreaming" From the vinyl 7" single for "Dreaming".
8) Cloud Control-"The Rolling Stones" From the brand new CD 'Bliss Release'.
9) Islet-"Obtaining" From the brand new CD 'Whimmy'.
10) Generationals-"Say for Certain" From the brand new EP 'Trust'.
11) Jim Noir-"She Flies Away With My Love" From the brand new EP 'Zooper Dooper'.
12) The Radio Dept-"On your Side" From the brand new vinyl 12" EP 'Never Follow Suit'.
13) Mirrors-"Hide and Seek" From the brand new vinyl 7" single for "Hide and Seek".
14) Pulp-"Do You Remember the First Time?" From the CD 'His n Hers'.
15) Art Brut-"Moving To L.A." From the CD 'Bang Bang Rock n Roll'.
16) The Blood Arm-"All My Love Songs" From the brand new CD EP 'All My Love Songs'.
17) Cowbell-"Never Satisfied" From the brand new download single for "Never Satisfied".
18) British Sea Power-"Living Is So Easy" From the forthcoming CD 'Valhalla Dancehall'.
19) White Wires-"Roxanne" From the forthcoming CD 'WW II'.
20) Beach Fossils-"Distance" From the vinyl AA 7" side single for "Face It"/"Distance".
21) Wild Nothing-"My Angel Lonely" From the CD 'Gemini'.
22) Cloud Nothings-"My Little Ray Gun" From the compilation CD 'Turning On'.
23) The Dears-"Omega Dog" From the forthcoming CD 'Degeneration Street'.
24) Cuffs- Privilege (Demo)" From the bands official bandcamp page.
25) Paul Smith-"Our Lady of Lourdes" From the brand new vinyl 7" single for "Our Lady of Lourdes".
26) Real Estate-"Reservoir #3" From the vinyl 7" single for "Out of Tune".
27) Memoryhouse-"Caregiver" From the brand new vinyl 7" single for "Caregiver".
28) Life In Film-"Suitcase" From the brand new vinyl 7" single for "Sorry".
29) Gruff Rhys-"I Totally Understand" From the vinyl 12" single for "Shark Ridden Waters".
30) Laurie Anderson-"Song for Two Jims"/"Over the River" From the CD box set 'United States Live Parts I-IV'.
31) Youth-"Samen" From the brand new poetry book and CD soundtrack for 'Kommune'.
32) "The Mid-Morning Recording" Howling Bells-'Radio Wars'
A great album from one of the best bands of the 21st century. It's still shocking to me that I've only seen them in an arena setting. Once in Austin opening up for The Killers, and once here in San Antonio, opening for Snow Patrol and Coldplay. MFL interviewed the band both times and hopefully will again. With each conversation I have had with the band, I keep thinking of how nice it would be to be on tour with them as a sound tech or something. We would have endless amounts of things to talk about. They love movies, good movies, and one thing is for sure: their music shines with cinematic atmospheres. The term "atmospheric" gets thrown around a lot from me in these blurbs, but with concern to this band, there is no better term. A bluesy, sultry, and sexy band that would most likely be best heard in a dark smoky nightclub. This Australian band spends a lot of time in London these days, and this second record reflects more of the busy city life than the slower pace of the first album written mostly on an island. Granted while I do think the first album is stronger than this second collection of songs, to be fair, their first collection is one of best albums released in my lifetime. So, it had a lot to live up to. This album is a great follow-up to a masterpiece, and leaves a avid follower of their work craving the next thing in their catalog. We can expect more atmosphere, along with more smooth and sexy grooves and hooks. "Radio wars are coming, they're here, they're here".
Michael - MFL
33) James-"Sayonara" From the CD 'Wah-Wah'.
34) Aphex Twin-"Alberto Balsam" From the CD '...I Care Because You Do'.