Music For Listeners 2007/02/24
1) The Beastie Boys-"Country Mike's Theme" From the CD 'Anthology'.
2) My Two Toms-"Gladys" From the double CD release 'Field Recordings'
3) Klaxons-"It's Not Over Yet" From the brand new UK CD 'Myths
of the Near Future'.
4) Au Revoir Simone-"Fallen Snow" From the forthcoming CD 'The
Bird of Music'.
5) Beirut-"Elephant Gun" From the CD E.P. 'Lon Gisland'.
6) Clap Your Hands Say Yeah-"Satan Said Dance" From the brand
new CD 'Some Loud Thunder'.
7) The Good, The Bad, and the Queen-"Kingdom of Doom" From the
CD 'The Good, The Bad, and the Queen'.
8) Bloc Party-"I Still Remember" From the UK vinyl 7" single
for "I Still Remember".
9) Poster Children-"Western Springs" From the CD 'No More Songs
About Sleep and Fire'.
10) The Enemy-"It's Not OK" From the brand new UK CD single
for "It's Not OK".
11) Bears-"How To Live" From the CD 'Bears'.
12) Dios-"All Said + Done" From the CD EP 'Los Arboles'.
13) Scissors for Lefty-"Mama Your Boys Will Find A Home" From
the CD 'Underhanded Romance'.
14) Druggist-"One of Us" From the CD 'Early Michael Keaton'.
15) One More Grain-"Against King Moron" From the CD E.P. 'Pigeon
English/One More Grain'.
16) Peel-"Moxie Blues" From the CD 'Peel'.
17) Field Music-"A House Is Not A Home" From the brand new CD
'Tones of Town'.
18) The Shins-"Red Rabbits" From the CD 'Wincing the Night Away'.
19) LCD Soundsystem-"North American Scum" From the forthcoming
CD 'Sound of Silver'.
20) Arcade Fire-"Ocean of Noise" From the forthcoming CD 'Neon
21) Hegga-"In A Different Light" From the CD E.P. 'Melee'.
22) Clinic-"If You Could Read Your Mind" From the brand new
23) Arctic Monkeys-"Leave Before The Lights Come On" From the
UK CD single for "Leave Before the Lights Come On".
24) The View-"Comin Down" From the CD 'Hats Off to the Buskers'.
25) Jamie T-"Salvador" From the brand new UK CD 'Panic Prevention'.
26) Dr Dog-"Weekend" From the CD 'We All Belong'.
27) Gulf of Mexico-"How the Stars Did Fall" From the CD 'Rooms
You've Never Seen Before'.
28) Explosions in the Sky-"Welcome, Ghosts" From the brand new
CD 'All of the Sudden, I Miss Everyone'.
29) "The Mid-Morning Recording" Buttercup-'Hot Love'.
No matter how many times I see San Antonio's Buttercup
in concert, something always happens to surprise me. It happens each and
every time. I think the band almost tries to make every concert they play
a special occasion. For this reason, one show might be completely different
than one you saw the week before. Due to their wonderfully delightful
and extemporaneous live performances, they are finally starting to make
waves outside of our Alamo city; certainly just north in our capitol of
Austin. Hopefully they will be bringing their "hot love" to
your city soon, because they might be just a little bit better live than
they are on record. With this second release from them, that is saying
a whole lot. This album is also a testament to how much Erik Sanden has
grown as a songwriter since the first Buttercup releases. He has always
written good songs, but this album really shows just how much better he
is getting at crafting awesome pop tunes. He's also not just getting better
as a songwriter, but as a singer as well. He is becoming more comfortable
with his book peddling shyness on stage and in the studio. I'm sure he
would say that Grammy Award winning guitarist Joe Reyes has a lot to do
with it as well. All four group members support each other with great
respect, love, and companionship that is rare amongst individuals these
days. They are certainly one of the nicest bands you might ever meet,
and they have written a strong record full of "sing-a-longs"
to win you over. The "Buttercult" is gaining members each and
every day, and you too should fall in love with these catchy tunes, as
we in San Antonio already have. One of my favorites from the year 2006.
Certainly one of the best releases out of San Antonio to see the light
Michael - MFL
30) James-"Sayonara" From the CD 'Wah-Wah'.