Music For Listeners 2007/03/24
Recordings from John Peel Day 2006 - Part Two
1) The Beastie Boys-"Country Mike's Theme" From the CD 'Anthology'.
2) My Two Toms-"Overblown" From the double CD release 'Field
Recordings' and 'Two'.
3) Nethers-"Three Hearts" From the forthcoming not yet titled
second CD release.
4) Palomar-"Bury Me Closer" From the brand new CD 'All Things,
5) Dengue Fever-"Sni Bong" From the CD 'Escape from Dragon
6) The Blood Arm-"Suspicious Character" From the CD 'Lie Lover
7) Frank Black and Teenage Fanclub-"Handyman (Peel Sessions)"
From the CD 'Peel Sessions'.
Picked as a Peely favorite by The Lovely Sparrows.
8) The Lovely Sparrows - MFL Interview 2006
9) The Lovely Sparrows-"Live at the Limelight - John Peel Weekend
October 15, 2006" Exclusively recorded for broadcast on Music For
10) Peel-"Live at the Limelight - John Peel Weekend - October 13,
2006" Exclusively recorded for broadcast on Music For Listeners.
11) The Jam-"Modern World (Peel Session)" From the CD 'The
12) Mosquitos - MFL Interview 2006
13) Galaxie 500-"Submission (Sex Pistols) (Peel Session)"
From the CD 'Peel Sessions'.
The Galaxie 500 track above and The Jam song were
picked as Peely favorites by The Mosquitos.
14) Mosquitos-"Live at the Limelight - John Peel Weekend - October
15, 2006" Exclusively recorded for broadcast on Music For Listeners.
15) The Pigeon Detectives-"I Found Out" From the UK CD single
for 'I Found Out'.
16) Voxtrot-"Kid Gloves" From the forthcoming CD 'Voxtrot'.
17) Poster Children-"Afterglow" From the CD 'RTFM'.
18) "The Mid-Morning Recording" Pink Floyd-'BBC Session -
Paris Theater, London - 09/30/1971'
In honor of their 40th anniversary this month,
and in honor of our guest in spirit, Mr. John Peel, I thought I would
play ANOTHER rare Pink Floyd recording that features him hosting the
show. These songs have rarely seen the light as "official releases",
as this vinyl LP was only released through subscription to the BBC in
the late 70's. (I, of course found mine at a really high price on eBay
in the late 90's.) Pink Floyd did two sessions for Peel in the years
of 1970-1971, and I believe them to be their best live recordings they
ever made. This recording, along with the one we played a couple of
weeks back, is certainly one of my favorite live albums ever, and I
really love that John Peel's voice is all over it. This was also made
during a time when Pink Floyd was, as a live band, in their prime. Recorded
during their earlier period before they would find world fame and fortune
with 'Dark Side of the Moon' and other successful releases. John Peel
loved this band before anyone did, and even one of the first ever "Peel
Sessions" from 1967 featured them. So here is, what I would think
would be one of John Peel's all-time favorites from the thousands of
sessions recorded under his name. All the songs on this recording are
top notch, but the highlight of this recording has to be a live version
of 'Echoes' featuring the full 26 minute version, played for Peel and
BBC Radio One two months before it was released on their classic album,
'Meddle'. A lot of Floyd fans, me included, really wish these sessions
would be released officially, but to this day the Pink Floyd BBC Sessions
are omitted from their catalog. This particular recording is one of
their last "great" recordings that hasn't been released on
CD. This whole show and this "Mid-Morning Recording" is of
course dedicated to Peely...the greatest DJ that ever lived. I know
he would want us to "Play the whole thing".
Michael - MFL
19) James-"Sayonara" From the CD 'Wah-Wah'.