Music For Listeners 2007/06/23
The Whigs SXSW 2007 Interview
1) The Beastie Boys-"Country Mike's Theme" From the CD 'Anthology'.
2) My Two Toms-"Thoughts Get Thunk" From the double CD release
'Field Recordings' and 'Two'.
3) Wax Fang-"Sweet Bloody Murder" From the CD 'Black and Endless
4) The Blood Arm-"Do I Have Your Attention?" From the CD 'Lie
5) White Rabbits-"While We Go Dancing" From the CD 'Fort Nightly'.
6) Malajube-"Le Crabe" From the CD 'Trompe-L'oeil'.
7) Fields-"You Don't Need This Song (To Fix Your Broken Heart)"
From the brand new CD 'Everything Last Winter'.
8) Fight Like Apes-"Jake Summers" From the CD E.P. 'How Am I
Supposed To Kill You If You Have All the Guns?'.
9) Dengue Fever-"We Were Gonna" From the CD 'Escape from Dragon
10) The Aliens-"Honest Again" From the brand new CD 'Astronomy
11) Foals-"Astronauts and All" From the UK 7" single for
12) Poster Children-"Question" From the CD 'Flower Plower'.
13) Maximo Park-"By The Monument" From the CD 'Our Earthly Pleasures'.
14) Patrick Watson-"Close To Paradise" From the CD 'Close To
15) Scissors for Lefty-"Next To Argyle" From the brand new CD
16) The Whigs-"Nothing Is Easy" From the CD 'Give 'Em All A
Big Fat Lip'.
17) The Whigs - Music For Listeners Interview - Segment One - SXSW 2007
18) The Whigs-"Half the World Away" From the CD 'Give 'Em All
A Big Fat Lip'.
19) The Whigs - Music For Listeners Interview - Segment Two - SXSW 2007
20) The Whigs-"All My Banks" From the CD 'Give 'Em All A Big
21) Voxtrot-"Brother In Conflict" From the CD 'Voxtrot'.
22) Air-"One Hell Of A Party" From the CD 'Pocket Symphony'.
23) Andrew Pekler-"Dim Star" From the CD 'Cue'.
24) Annuals-"Ease My Mind" From the CD E.P. 'Big Zeus'.
25) Micah P. Hinson-"Drift Off To Sleep" From the CD 'Micah
P. Hinson and the Opera Circuit'.
26) Nethers-"Southern Bells" From their forthcoming untitled
2007 CD release.
27) Nick Drake-"Hanging On A Star" From the CD compilation 'Made
to Love Magic'.
28) "The Mid-Morning Recording" Elvis
Costello and the Attractions-'This Year's Model'
The second album I've played by him and most likely
my second favorite recording of his thirty-plus years in the business.
I would certainly put 'Olvier's Army' up there as well, and that will
most likely be the third album we play by him. I know several critics
who put 'This Year's Model' as his best, and it is a very good record.
The UK single of "Don't Go To Chelsea", and the US single of
"Radio, Radio" are two of the best songs he ever made, but they
are no "Watching the Detectives" or "Allison" for
that matter. Released in the late 70's, this album was pretty groundbreaking
for its new wave/punk attitude, and he would go on to create some of the
most eclectic music of his generation. Classical, lounge, opera, country,
jazz, punk, rock, he would eventually tackle all the major genres. Looking
back on his influence on me as a music listener, I would have to say that
Costello's second release, (the first with the Attractions), is really
amazing, but I still have to put his debut 'My Aim Is True' in the top
spot. That's not to say this album isn't a classic as well, because it's
almost as good.
They are two of my favorite albums ever made. "Oh no, it does not
move me. Even though I've seen the movie. I don't want to check your pulse.
I don't want nobody else. I don't want to go to Chelsea".
Michael - MFL
29) James-"Sayonara" From the CD 'Wah-Wah'.