Music For Listeners 2008/04/26
Fanfarlo - SXSW 2008 Interview
1) The Beastie Boys-"Country Mike's Theme" From the
2) Kitty Wells-"It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels (1952
Single Version)" From the CD compilation 'Pure Country Classics
- The #1 Hits'.
3) Oppenheimer-"Look Up" From the forthcoming CD 'Take
the Whole Midrange and Boost It'.
4) Black Kids-"I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance
with You" From the brand new UK 7" single for "I'm
Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance with You".
5) The Courteeners-"Bide Your Time" From the brand
new UK CD 'St. Jude'.
6) The Wombats-"Backfire At the Disco (Radio Edit)" From
the brand new UK CD single for "Backfire At the Disco".
7) The Wedding Present-"Spider-Man On Hollywood" From
the forthcoming CD 'El Rey'.
8) The Last Shadow Puppets-"Meeting Place" From the
brand new UK CD 'The Age of the Understatement'.
9) Goldfrapp-"Happiness (Single Version)" From the brand
new CD single for "Happiness".
10) Ra Ra Riot-"A Manner To Act" From the CD E.P. 'Ra
11) Noah and the Whale-"Shape of My Heart" From the
forthcoming UK CD single for "Shape of My Heart".
12) The Little Ones-"Unlock The Door!" From the brand
new CD E.P. 'Terry Tales & Fallen Gates'.
13) Big Soy-"Fire and Mud" From the CD E.P. 'Star By
14) The Octopus Project-"Moon Boil" From the brand new
double A-side vinyl 7" single for "Wet Gold"/"Moon
15) Tapes n Tapes-"Conquest" From the CD 'Walk
16) Tindersticks-"The Hungry Saw" From the brand new
UK CD single for "The Hungry Saw".
17) James-"Hey Ma" From the brand new UK CD 'Hey Ma'.
18) Flight of the Conchords-"Inner City Pressure" From
the brand new CD 'Flight of the Conchords'.
19) Fanfarlo-"You Are One of the Few Outsiders Who Really Understands
Us" From the UK CD single for "You Are One of the Few
Outsiders Who Really Understands Us".
20) Fanfarlo - Interview - Segment One - SXSW 2008
21) Fanfarlo-"Harold T. Wilkins" From the UK 7"
single for "Harold T. Wilkins".
22) Sleeping States-"Call Me" From the UK 7" single
for "Harold T. Wilkins".
23) Throwing Muses-"Call Me" From the CD 'Throwing Muses'.
24) Fanfarlo - Interview - Segment Two - SXSW 2008
25) Fanfarlo-"Fire Escape" From the UK CD single for
26) The Rosie Taylor Project-"A Good Cafe On George Street"
From the forthcoming CD E.P. 'This City Draws Maps'.
27) The Accidental-"Knock Knock" From the brand new
CD 'There Were Wolves'.
28) My Sad Captains-"All Hat And No Plans" From the
brand new double A-side vinyl UK 7" single for "All Hat and
No Plans"/"Great Expectations".
29) The Static Jacks-"The Waltz" From the CD E.P. 'Sonny
30) The Whigs-"Mission Control" From the CD 'Mission
31) "The Mid-Morning Recording" Motion
Picture Soundtrack to the Wim Wenders film "Wings of Desire"
I can assoicate so many memories with
this movie, some good, and even some of them, not so good. Let's just
say that this movie once saved me from a temporary funk any of us may
encounter every so often in life. That reason alone is most likely why
I claim it to be my favorite movie ever made. Sometimes movies created
in another country and language can take you to other worlds. From frame
one, this film takes you on a journey; a human one, but it literaly
uses "spirits in the material world" as your guide. Of course
atmospheric films usually root themselves with a great soundtrack. We
rarely play soundtracks on this portion of the show, but I've been aching
to play this one for a while. It turned out to be a great choice to
play on this night, as it has been a rather stormy late night/early
morning during Fiesta San Antonio 2008. Perfect music for major lightning
and slightly dazed individuals. So this mid-morning, I'm happy to play
the eclectic soundtrack to the most atmospheric movie I've ever encountered.
What happens when you get an eighty year old man to shoot one of his
last movies for you? Pure genius that's what. I believe that along with
many others, this is Bono and Michael Stipe's favorite all-time movie.
U2 wrote the track "Faraway So Close" for the film's second
installment, and R.E.M.'s video for "Everybody Hurts", was
a direct homage to this film. (Strangely enough that video was shot
on a highway a couple of miles away from this studio.) Director Brad
Silberling liked "Wings of Desire" so much he even made a
decent American version of the film with 1998's "City of Angels".
If you live in the U.S. then you've seen that, so pick up the original
and enjoy. "When the child was a child - "I'm going to tell
you about a girl" - "We have embarked!"
Michael - MFL
32) James-"Sayonara" From the CD 'Wah-Wah'.