Music For Listeners 05/31/08
1) The Beastie Boys-"Country Mike's Theme" From the
2) Lefty Frizzell-"I Love You A Thousand Ways" From
the CD 'Lefty's 20 Golden Hits'.
3) Hot Club de Paris-"Hey Housebrick" From the brand
new UK vinyl 7" single for "Hey Housebrick".
4) Collapsing Cities-"Fear of Opening My Mouth" From
the brand new UK vinyl 7" single for "Fear of Opening My Mouth".
5) The Steers-"Julia" From the brand new UK vinyl 7"
single for "Julia".
6) Sigur Ros-"Gobbledigook" From the forthcoming CD
'Með Suð í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust' ('With a Buzz
in Our Ears We Play Endlessly').
7) The Pigeon Detectives-"Say It Like You Mean It" From
the brand new CD 'Emergency'.
8) Johnny Foreigner-"Eyes Wide Terrified" From the brand
new UK vinyl 7" single for "Eyes Wide Terrified".
9) Teenagers in Tokyo-"Very Vampyr" From the brand new
UK vinyl 7" single for "Very Vampyr".
10) The Futureheads-"Think Tonight" From the brand new
CD 'This is Not the World'.
11) The Ting Tings-"That's Not My Name" From the brand
new CD 'We Started Nothing'.
12) Oppenheimer-"Major Television Events" From the forthcoming
CD 'Take the Whole Midrange and Boost It'.
13) The Shortwave Set-"No Social" From the brand new
CD 'Replica Sun Machine'.
14) Magic Wands-"Black Magic" From the brand new UK
vinyl 7" single for "Black Magic".
15) The Lovely Sparrows-"Devil In the Details" From
the forthcoming CD 'Bury the Cynics'.
16) Mates of State-"Get Better" From the brand new CD
17) Envelopes-"Free Jazz" From the CD 'Here Comes the
18) White Lies-"Unfinished Business" From the UK vinyl
7" single for "Unfinished Business".
19) Mumm-Ra-"Song E (Live at Red 7 - SXSW 2007)" Exclusively
recorded for broadcast on Music For Listeners.
20) Findlay Brown-"Losing the Will To Survive (Live at Lamberts
- SXSW 2007)" Exclusively recorded for broadcast on Music
21) Au Revoir Simone-"Through the Backyards (Live at Lamberts -
SXSW 2007)" Exclusively recorded for broadcast on Music For
22) Charlie Parr-"Cheap Wine (Live at The Kitty Kat Klub - July
28, 2007 - Minneapolis, MN)" Exclusively recorded for broadcast
on Music For Listeners.
23) Swervedriver-"Rave Down" From the CD 'Raise'.
24) Adorable-"Sistine Chapel Ceiling" From the CD 'Against
25) Teenage Fanclub-"Getting Real" From the CD 'Howdy!'.
26) Ride-"Crown of Creation" From the CD 'Carnival of
27) Tapes 'n Tapes-"Headshock" From the CD 'Walk It
28) Late of the Pier-"Focker" From the brand new double
A-side single for "Space and the Woods"/"Focker".
29) Dick Dale & His Del-Tones-"Let's Go Trippin' (Single Version)"
From the CD 'King Of The Surf Guitar: The Best Of Dick Dale &
30) The Wedding Present-"I Lost the Monkey" From the
brand new CD 'El Rey'.
31) Still Corners-"Parallels" From the UK CD E.P. 'Remember
32) The Kabeedies-"Lovers Ought To" From the brand new
UK vinyl 7" single for "Lovers Ought To".
33) Fanfarlo-"I'm A Pilot (Demo)" From a compilation
CD E.P. made for SXSW 2008.
34) Nethers-"When the Eye Comes Down" From the forthcoming
CD 'What the Wind Will Never Tell'.
35) "The Mid-Morning Recording Catherine
Wheel-'Happy Days' (German CD Pressing)
I've said it almost too many times, "This
band is so ridiculously overlooked". I would have to put Catherine
Wheel down as possibly the most overlooked band of the 90's, as even
The Verve would achieve some success. This band seems to always have
success elude them. Every record they released was good, even if it
wasn't liked by critics or long-time fans, I seemed to always enjoy
and look forward to their next release. This album happens to be in
the middle of their career, right in between the Frippiness of 'Chrome'
and the over-the-top Pink Floydness of 'Adam and Eve'. Some of their
best singles come from this album, and I would have to say for as much
as they rock on every one of their records, this album rocks the most.
It's aggressive and in your face. Even the slower songs like "Heal"
and "Eat My Dust You Insensitive Fuck" are powerful and incredibly
passionate. During the 90's it seemed, for me, the worst thing they
could do is break up; and in 2001, that's exactly what they did. Swervedriver
and The Verve are great bands, and I'm glad they are back together,
but if there was another band of that caliber that needed to get back
together again, it's Catherine Wheel. I only saw them live twice, and
it was for their first two tours of the U.S. I wish I could have seen
them again, especially after 'Adam and Eve'. I wish more people could
have seen them live (period)
"It's how high you are, and the time it takes to heal".
Michael - MFL
36) James-"Sayonara" From the CD 'Wah-Wah'.