Music For Listeners 03/19/2011
Bands playing SXSW 2011
1) Beastie Boys-"Country Mike's Theme" From the CD 'The Sounds of Science: Beastie Boys Anthology'.
2) Raphael Saadig-"Love That Girl" From the CD 'The Way I See It'.
3) Chapel Club-"Don't Look Down" From the vinyl 7" single for "Don't Look Down".
4) Jonquil-"Pillow Quest" From the CD 'One Hundred Suns EP'.
5) Generationals-"Say for Certain" From the CD EP 'Trust'.
6) Still Corners-"Endless Summer" From the vinyl 7" single for "Endless Summer".
7) Dinosaur Pile Up-"Traynor" From the UK vinyl 7" single for "Traynor".
8) Kid Canaveral-"You Only Wanted To Get Drunk Last Night" From the CD 'Shouting At Wildlife'.
9) Casiokids-"Finn Bikkjen (Live at the Red House Pizzeria 2010)" Exclusively recorded for broadcast on Music For Listeners.
10) Floating Action-"Eye of the Needle" From the CD 'Desert Etiquette'.
11) Bombay Bicycle Club-"How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep" From the CD soundtrack to the motion picture 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse'.
12) The Answering Machine-"Obviously Cold" From the CD 'Another City, Another Sorry'.
13) The Vaccines-"We're Happening" From the vinyl 7" single for "Post Break Up Sex".
14) Noah and the Whale-"Life Goes On" From the brand new CD 'Last Night On Earth'.
15) Oberhofer-"o0Oo0Oo" From the CD EP 'o0Oo0Oo'.
16) Soundtrack of Our Lives-"Sister Surround" From the CD 'Behind the Music'.
17) The Dodos-"Fables" From the CD 'Time to Die'.
18) Those Dancing Days (Featuring Orlando Weeks)-"One Day Forever" From the brand new CD 'Daydreams & Nightmares'.
19) A Classic Education-"Badlands and Owls" From the vinyl EP 'A Classic Education'.
20) The Spinto Band-"Airport" From the vinyl 7" single for "Summer Grof".
21) Million Young-"Cynthia" From the CD EP 'Sunndreamm'.
22) The Strokes-"Under Cover of Darkness" From the forthcoming CD 'Angles'
23) Darren Hanlon-"I Wish That I Was Beautiful for You" From the CD 'Little Chills'
24) James Walsh-"Man on the Hill" From the digital single for "Man on the Hill".
25) Tennis-"Marathon" From the CD 'Cape Dory'.
26) Young Legionnaire-"Chapter Verse" From the forthcoming CD 'Crisis Works'.
27) Summer Camp-"Ghost Train" From the vinyl 7" single for "Ghost Train".
28) Cloud Control-"The Rolling Stones" From the CD 'Bliss Release'.
29) Young Man-"Home Alone" From the CD EP 'Boy'.
30) The Smith Westerns-"Weekend" From the CD 'Dye It Blonde'
31) Esben and the Witch-"Marching Song" From the CD EP 'Marching Song'.
32) "The Mid-Morning Recording" Datarock-'Datarock'
I remember the first time Orlando brought this album into the KRTU studios. It was back when we did the show "live" from the studio. (Since I don't have a car anymore, and there is a lack of public transport in San Antonio, we tend to produce the shows in advance these days.....because we can.) Anyways, the first time Orlando brought this in, I didn't know what to think about it. I could hear so many influences that it was hard to pinpoint down. I thought it was somewhat whimsical at first, but then as the weeks went by and we played more songs, it became one of our favorite albums of that year. After talking with the band a couple of different times since then, it became apparent that this band has pretty much the same influences Orly and I would have had if we made music. Our music would surely not be as good as theirs, but since Datarock loves listening to music from Laurie Anderson, Ride, and Ned's Atomic Dustbin, and love a pair of good shoes, between the two, our influences are pretty much the same. They just write kick ass music. Their sound is pretty unique, and it follows a sound that is surely 80's pop influence; only it has a modern edge to it. I'm happy to say that I've seen them live three times already, and hopefully it won't be the last. Hopefully we could get them to finally host an episode of "The 180" in the future. "That's right, this was god given grace, with a face you could praise"
Michael - MFL
33) James-"Sayonara" From the CD 'Wah-Wah'.