Music For Listeners 04/13/2013
1) Beastie Boys-"Country Mike's Theme" From the CD 'The Sounds of Science: Beastie Boys Anthology'.
2) Bill Ryder-Jones-"The Lemon Trees #3" From the brand new CD 'A Bad Wind Blows in my Heart'.
3) Kid Canaveral-"The Wrench" From the brand new CD 'Now That You Are A Dancer'.
4) The Little Ones-"AWOL" From the CD 'The Dawn Sang Along'.
5) PAWS-"Catherine 1956" From the CD 'Coke Float'.
6) Wild Smiles-"Tangled Hair" From the brand new digital single for "Sweet Sixteen"/"Tangled Hair".
7) Charlie Boyer and The Voyeurs-"Things We Be" From the brand new digital single for "Things We Be".
8) Frankie and the Heartstrings-"Nothing Our Way" From the forthcoming digital single for "Nothing Our Way".
9) Sulk-"Marian Shrine" From the forthcoming CD 'Graceless'.
10) Menace Beach-"Tastes Like Medicine" From the brand new vinyl 7" single for "Tastes Like Medicine".
11) The Pastels-"Check My Heart" From the brand new digital single for "Check My Heart".
12) Dutch Uncles-"Bellio (Sky Larkin Remix)" From the brand new digital single for "Bellio (Sky Larkin Remix)".
13) The Postal Service-"Turn Around" From the remastered deluxe edition of 'Give Up'.
14) Neon Neon-"Mid Century Modern Nightmare" From the forthcoming CD 'Praxis Makes Perfect'.
15) Not Squares-"Simpler Vibe" From the brand new digital single for "Simpler Vibe".
16) Veronica Falls-"Is Anybody There" From the brand new tour EP "Covers EP 2".
17) Splashh-"Sun Kissed Bliss" From the forthcoming CD 'Comfort'.
18) Drunk Tigers-"Small Town" From the brand new digital EP 'Black Square'.
19) Girl One And The Grease Guns-"Driving Without Headlights (Once Again)" From the brand new digital single for "Driving Without Headlights (Once Again)".
20) Kingsley Flood-"Sun Gonna Lemme Shine" From the brand new CD 'Battles'.
21) Ship-Tones-"If You Wanna Reggae (feat Justin Haywood-Young)" Unreleased track straight from the band.
22) Steve Mason-"Come To Me" From the brand new CD 'Monkey Minds In the Devil's Time'.
23) Palma Violets-"All The Garden Birds" From the CD '180'.
24) Generationals-"Kemal" From the brand new CD 'Heza'.
25) Big Search-"Distant Shore" From the brand new digital single for "Distant Shore".
26) The Cornells-"Night Train" From the CD compilation 'Surf Fever! The Best of - 1964'.
27) Dead Can Dance-"Children of the Sun (Live)" From the forthcoming CD "In Concert".
28) Wilsen-"Sirens" From the brand new digital EP 'Sirens'.
29) Belle Mare-"The Boat Of The Fragile Mind" From the brand new digital EP 'The Boat Of The Fragile Mind'.
30) "The Mid-Morning Recording" Inspiral Carpets-'21790 Live' (DVD soundtrack)
As I mentioned during the broadcast, this recording has a special place in the hearts of Orlando and I. Not only was it the biggest gig for the Inspirals during the Madchester scene of the late 80's and early 90's, but it happens to be the gig just prior to their first gig in Texas, which happened after a long touring holiday for the band. Orlando and I didn't know each other then, but we both attended Inspiral Carpets at Liberty Lunch in Austin, TX on February 15, 1991. They brought all their slide projectors, white sheets, and strobe lights from the GMEX show and crammed it into a little club. Most importantly they also brought a fog machine that had to have been used at GMEX, as it filled the whole club in seconds. People driving by must have thought either Pink Floyd was playing or a UFO had landed inside Liberty. There were points of the show that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face it was so bright. Orlando and I also met Noel Gallagher at that show in Austin. So did everyone who bought a "Cool As Fuck" t-shirt on that tour. Before he was known for writing serious pop diddies with Oasis, he was the roadie and merch guy for the Inspiral Carpets. In fact, Noel gave me a poster that he was too lazy to take down. At the end of the night, I asked him how much the poster was, and he said "If you take it down, it's yours." I had the poster on my wall for years, and I beleive I have it in storage to this day. It's a poster for "Inspiral Carpets - Live at the GMEX - July 21, 1990". He was walking around on stage and was the drum tech for the GMEX show. Tonight's MMR is the audio from that performance played from the DVD found on the Expanded Edition of the album 'Life'. "To celebrate, I'm going to build a monument all covered with stone to save on the side of a mountain. Where all my doubts must lay in the biggest mountain". - Michael - MFL
31) James-"Sayonara" From the CD 'Wah-Wah'.