Music For Listeners 01/18/2014
1) Beastie Boys-"Country Mike's Theme" From the CD 'Country Mike's Greatest Hits'.
2) Fox and the Bird-"Valley" From the forthcoming album 'Darkest Hours'.
3) Embrace-"Refugees" From the digital single for "Refugees".
4) Heathers-"Teenage Clothes" From the vinyl 7" single for "Teenage Clothes".
5) Toy-"You Won't Be the Same" From the album 'Join the Dots'.
6) Drowners-"Ways To Phrase a Rejection" From the forthcoming album 'Drowners'.
7) Let's Wrestle-"Rain Ruins Revolution" From the digital single for "Rain Ruins Revolution".
8) Pixies-"Snakes" From the brand new digital 'EP 2'.
9) Toyko Police Club-"Hot Tonight" From the forthcoming album 'Forcefield'.
10) Cheatahs-"Get Tight" From the forthcoming album 'Cheatahs'.
11) Malibu Shark Attack-"Better Off As Friends" From the forthcoming album 'Malibu Shark Attack'.
12) Boxed In-"All Your Love Is Gone" From the digital single for "All Your Love Is Gone".
13) James Yuill-"Turn Yourself Around" From the album 'These Spirits'.
14) East India Youth-"Dripping Down" From the brand new album 'Total Strife Forever'.
15) The Crookes-"Play Dumb (Clean Edit)" From the digital single for "Play Dumb".
16) Dean Wareham-"Holding Pattern" From the forthcoming album 'Dean Wareham'.
17) Big Star-"When My Baby's Beside Me (Alternate Mix, 1972)" From the vinyl LP soundtrack to the motion picture 'Nothing Can Hurt Me'.
18) Mogwai-"Simon Ferocious" From the forthcoming album 'Rave Tapes'.
19) Traams-"Demons" From the album 'Grin'.
20) Primitive Parts-"Open Heads" From the digital single for "Open Heads".
21) FAMY-"A Ho A Hand" From the digital single for "A Ho A Hand".
22) Younghusband-"Left Of The Rocks" From the digital single for "Left Of The Rocks".
23) Like Swimming-"Go Buffalo" From the digital single for "Go Buffalo".
24) Making Marks-"Bruises" From the forthcoming album 'A Thousand Half-Truths'.
25) The Birthday Kiss-"Worth It" From the AA vinyl 7" single for "Can You Keep A Secret"/"Worth It".
26) Samantha Crain-"Somewhere All the Time" From the brand new album 'Kid Face'.
27) Charlie Parr-"Clearlake" From the forthcoming album 'Hollandale'.
28) Parlour-"Devil's Eyes" From the forthcoming album 'Devil's Eyes'.
29) Belle Mare-"Beauty" From the digital single for "Beauty".
30) "The Mid-Morning Recording" Envelopes-'Here Comes the Wind'
When Orly and I were making tonight's playlist, he mentioned to me that he wanted to play the band Like Swimming mainly because he wanted some new "Swedish pop music" on the show. That made me ask him, "Where the hell are Envelopes? What the hell happened to them? They put out two albums of amazing work, and then vanished." It's been since 2008 since we heard from them, and while at least their Wiki page shows them as active, they no longer have a website, and apart from a neglected MySpace music page, I didn't find any social media accounts either. It's very baffling as this band seemed to be on the rise at that time. Everywhere they played, people really liked them, and every time I played them doing sound gigs in clubs, I was always asked "Who is this? They are interesting." They were fantastic live and super sweet when we talked with them in 2006 at SXSW, a full two years before this album came out. Then when this album, and all the singles associated with it, did come out, I couldn't wait to catch up with them again. A great album and one of those bands that I'm so glad that SXSW brought them to Texas. This album features one of my favorite songs of the 21st Century, "Smoke In The Desert, Eating The Sand, Hide In The Grass", which I'd have to say is more interesting to me than pretty much all of Arcade Fire's catalog. I single out Arcade Fire because both bands wear a Talking Heads influence on their sleeves, and while I like Arcade Fire, I just wasn't that impressed with them live. I cannot say the same for Envelopes. "I don't know what went wrong, but tell me where to go!!!"
Michael - MFL
31) James-"Sayonara" From the CD 'Wah-Wah'.
32) Jonquil-"Real Cold" From the album 'Point of Go'.