Music For Listeners 01/12/2019
1) Beastie Boys-"Country Mike's Theme" From the compilation album 'Anthology: The Sounds of Science'.
2) The Delines-"Eddie And Polly" From the brand new album 'The Imperial'.
3) Sharon Van Etten-"Seventeen" From the forthcoming album 'Remind Me Tomorrow'.
4) Crumb-"Locket" From the EP 'Locket'.
5) TEEN-"Only Water" From the forthcoming album 'Good Fruit'.
6) Unloved-"Love" From the forthcoming album 'Heartbreak'.
7) Art Brut-"Your Enemies Are My Enemies Too" From the album 'Wham! Bang! Pow! Let's Rock Out!'.
8) Arlie-"Big Fat Mouth" From the EP 'Wait'.
9) Spielbergs-"We Are All Going to Die" From the EP 'Distant Star'.
10) Thoughts Detecting Machines-"Master and the Slave" From the brand new album 'Sound, Noise, & You'.
11) Gurr-"Hot Summer" From the brand new digital single for "Hot Summer".
12) Amyl and The Sniffers-"Some Mutts (Can't Be Muzzled)" From the brand new digital single for "Some Mutts (Can't Be Muzzled)".
13) N0V3L-"Suspicion" From the digital single for "Suspicion".
14) Fontaines D.C.-"Liberty Belle" From the vinyl 7" single for "Liberty Belle".
15) Free Love-"Playing as Punks" From the brand new EP 'Luxury Hits'.
16) Folamour-"Jazz Session for No Future People" From the EP 'Melophrenia'.
17) Tara Lily-"Who Saw Who" From the brand new digital single for "Who Saw Who".
18) Koffee-"Burning" From the brand new digital single for "Burning".
19) Mallrat-"Groceries" From the brand new EP 'In the Sky'.
20) The Pale Fountains-"(There's Always) Something on My Mind" From the album 'Pacific Street'.
21) Team Picture-"(I Have A) Little Secret" From the EP 'Recital'.
22) Fuzzy Sun-"Want Love" From the EP 'Want Love'.
23) Millie Turner-"Night Running" From the brand new digital single for "Night Running".
24) Catfish And The Bottlemen-"Longshot" From the brand new digital single for "Longshot".
25) Le Groupe Obscur-"Picedelula" From the brand new digital single for "Picedelula".
26) The Wedding Present-"Back For Good (Live Huw Stephens Session 2006)" From the brand new EP 'Huw Stephens Session'.
27) VanIves-"Pyramids" From the brand new digital single for "Pyramids".
28) Beirut-"Landslide (Radio Edit)" From the forthcoming album 'Gallipoli'.
29) David Byrne-"Everybody's Coming To My House (Live)" From the brand new EP '"...The Best Live Show Of All Time"*'.
30) Dear Rabbit-"Took Some Time" From the album 'Shy'.
31) Deerhunter-"Plains" From the forthcoming album 'Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?'.
32) "The Mid-Morning Recording" Elvis Presley-'From Elvis in Memphis'
In honor of his birthday, Orly thought we should play some Elvis. I agreed and suggested this particular album. Luckily Orly's sister Diana has every RCA album he released on CD. So after a quick meet up, we had the 1969 classic in our hands to play for the broadcast. After the famed '68 Comeback Special, this was Elvis' return to long play albums. Since 1964, he had been only providing score tunes and singles for motion pictures that he starred in. This was Elvis wanting to record in Memphis, with the producer of his choice, and the musicians of his choice. Possibly my favorite album he did start to finish. A lot of my favorite singles around this time that were recorded during the same sessions, "Suspicious Minds", "Kentucky Rain" "Don't Cry Daddy" and "Mama Liked the Roses" weren't included on this album on the release. Legacy editions of the album now include these songs tacked onto the end of the original track listing. For the broadcast tonight we opted to play the original LP track listing. I personally like the R&B soul side of Elvis's work during these sessions. You can tell he wanted to do something different with his music and his image. The album's closer, "In the Ghetto" is my personal favorite song Elvis ever recorded. It has atmosphere and something to say. Great singing. Great songwriting. Great production. "As the snow flies. On a cold and gray Chicago mornin', a poor little baby child is born in the ghetto (in the ghetto)". - Michael - MFL
33) James-"Sayonara" From the album 'Wah-Wah'.