Music For Listeners 11/21/2020
1) Beastie Boys-"Country Mike's Theme" From the compilation album 'Anthology: The Sounds of Science'.
2) Sturgill Simpson-"Life of Sin" From the brand new album 'Cuttin' Grass Vol. 1'.
3) Kiwi Jr.-"Cooler Returns" From the brand new digital single for "Cooler Returns".
4) The Whigs-"Waiting" From the album 'Enjoy the Company'.
5) XTC-"New Town Animal in a Furnished Cage" From the album 'White Music'.
6) The Sugarcubes-"Delicious Demon" From the album 'Life's Too Good'.
7) Devo-"Uncontrollable Urge" From the album 'Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!'.
8) Cassia-"Don't Make a Scene (Acoustic)" From the digital single for "Don't Make a Scene".
9) The Charlatans-"Patrol" From the album 'Up To Our Hips'.
10) Django Django-"Life's a Beach" From the album 'Django Django'.
11) The Good, the Bad & the Queen-"Herculean" From the album 'The Good, the Bad & the Queen'.
12) Elvis Costello-"Byline" From the brand new album 'Hey Clockface'.
13) Art Of Noise-"Close to the Edge (Ruff Mix)" From the compilation box set 'And What Have You Done With My Body, God?'.
14) David Byrne-"Here" From the album 'American Utopia on Broadway (Original Cast Recording)'.
15) The Verve-"Mover" From the digital single for "Mover".
A set of music that I know my father likes - It is his birthday
16) Harry Nilsson-"Spaceman" From the album 'Son of Schmilsson'.
17) Jackson Browne-"Walking Slow" From the album 'Late for the Sky'.
18) Al Stewart-"On the Border" From the album 'Year of the Cat'.
19) Laura Cantrell-"Can't Wait" From the album 'No Way There From Here'.
20) Jeff Tweedy-"Gwendolyn" From the brand new album 'Love Is The King'.
21) The Spinto Band-"Leave Yourself Alone" From the album 'Shy Pursuit'.
22) The Wave Pictures-"Missoula" From the album 'City Forgiveness'.
23) Gretchen Lohse-"All Around the River" From the album 'Primal Rumble'.
24) Summer Camp-"Feel It" From the EP 'Stupid Girl'.
25) The Radio Dept.-"Where Damage Isn't Already Done" From the album 'Lesser Matters'.
26) Elektric Music-"Lifestyle" From the album 'Esperanto'.
27) Bad Sounds-"Thomas Is A Killer" From the album 'Get Better'.
28) Astralasia-"Genesis-"The Spark Of Life" From the album 'Whatever Happened To Utopia'.
29) The Orb-"Wrapped With Salt & Vinegar (Thomas Fehlmann Mix)" From the expanded edition of the album 'Pomme Fritz'.
30) "The Mid-Morning Recording" Zulu Winter-'Stutter'
In my opinion, they are one of the most overlooked bands of the 21st century. We here at Music For Listeners have followed this band for a good long while. Before they were known as Zulu Winter, they as essentially the same band, called themselves The Molotovs. They put out a few demo tracks, 7" singles, and an EP; all of which are stellar. I have everything The Molotovs released including a ton of rarities from their old MySpace page. Then, quite quickly, they resurfaced and changed their name to Zulu Winter, completely re-branding. They longer played songs recorded under The Molotovs, and they pretty much completely tried to put those songs behind them. Completely reinventing themselves as a new band, and going a bit more ethereal and atmospheric. A welcome sound for me actually. Zulu Winter put out an amazing album called 'Language', and it achieved some success in the UK, but never really broke here in the states. It was chock full of catchy singles, (as always from this group). I think they only played Austin during SXSW one year, and luckily I got to see them play a short afternoon party set at The Mohawk. They would not return to Texas, and now the band no longer exists; breaking up what is has been six years ago already. This album, 'Stutter' was their final opus, (at least to date). Released in 2014, it's an album of leftovers as it were. Stuff they were working on and finishing up as they were breaking apart as a band. It's sad, because the songs on this release are also quite hooky and single worthy. The lead singer Will Daunt also has put out some great singles to date under his solo project Daunt. There are maybe a few handfuls of bands for me that create an output where I like pretty much every song they've released. Zulu Winter is seriously one of the most overlooked bands in the 21st century for me. Go check out The Molotovs, (if you can find them), Zulu Winter (easier to find), and Daunt. I like it all. "So keep yourself dignify. None of this games will make him stay." - Michael - MFL
31) James-"Sayonara" From the album 'Wah-Wah'.